Hospice Volunteer Program
As a hospice volunteer, you will work with a clinical team of a doctor, nurse, aide, chaplain, and social worker. Every Haven volunteer receives free and comprehensive training before working with a patient. You’ll learn about hospice philosophy, grief and loss, health and safety precautions, and how to care for the terminally ill.
Hospice volunteers need to know that hospice work takes its toll. You become friends with people who are going to die, and with the people who love them. You must be able to sit quietly, take a back seat to the events taking place around you, and be a calming presence when that is called for.
The top qualities of a hospice volunteer include:
- commitment to those they serve
- compassionate and patient
- a good listener, and comfortable in silence
- knowing your strengths, limits, and when to say no
- be non-judgmental
- accept that needs can be physical, emotional, and/or spiritual
- respect all beliefs and religious customs
Hospice volunteers fill the gap between loved ones and professional caregivers. Become a Haven Hospice Volunteer today!
Give Us a Call